Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 42: Pizza

To celebrate the end of Boyd's exam week we made pizza! Yay! Pizza is a Bills family favorite! We made it over Christmas break with Dave and Amber's kids and they loved it! When we visit Carrie we somehow usually end up making pizza, mostly because Carrie knows Boyd is coming. When we went to California to visit Grandma Miller, Aunt Dara made us pizza. She kept telling us how she has the most amazing home-made pizza recipe. We watched, and helped, her make it. Boyd and I kept giggling because she offered us the recipe, but she was talking to the pizza making son of the woman who probably gave her the recipe in the first place. To sum it up, Boyd is notorious for making pizza in his family.

Pizza Dough

1 C. Warm Water

1 T Yeast

1 T Sugar

Combine and let foam

(Don't forget the other ingredients mentioned later on.)

Ohio is a strange place. Your white sugar gets lumps, but your brown sugar doesn't get lumpy . . . This is completely opposite from what I'm used to. In Utah you have to buy "brown sugar bears" that you soak in water, just to keep your brown sugar soft. Go figure.


The Foam is important. Boyd is so good about asking me when it is foamy, then we can start to add the other ingredients.



Meanwhile, you can make the sauce

1 can of tomato sauce
Italian seasoning
Garlic powder
Sugar


This picture reminds me of when I'm doing family shoots. I always tell the families to do a group hug and squish really close together. I felt like this when I was pushing the ingredients together. "Now Tomato Sauce, scoot really close to Mr. Italian Seasoning"



Hint: You need a lot of Italian Seasoning!

Back to the dough:
Add
1 tsp Salt
1/4 C oil

Slowly mix in 2 C flour.
By the way, Boyd is the dough master! I have tried and tried and it never turns out as good as Boyd's. He taught me his trick today. You sprinkle the flour on the top and then mix from the bottom. P.S. I have tried using my mixer and the dough hook, but hand mixing is by far a better option.

When the dough it done, it should look really moist and soft, but workable.

Roll dough out onto a greased jelly roll pan. Some people like to put flour down on the pan but Boyd and I think it is gross and coats your mouth with flour later on when you are eating it. We prefer to do just spray because it gives the crust a nice crispy bottom.

We found this soft mozzarella at Costco today and it Rocks! Talk about creamy yummy perfect for pizza making cheese!
The knife practically sinks in just sitting there.
Boyd says "no this is not butter"

So when Boyd and I were first married, Boyd kept saying "we need a mouli, we need a mouli!"

What in the world is a mouli?!? Growing up, we didn't eat much cheese because my mom thought it was really fattening.

"You know, a mouli, like those cheese things at Olive Garden!"

Light Bulb! Well, why in the world do we need one of those!

Well, to say the least, we got a mouli and I hated it at first because we didn't have a dishwasher and it was a pain to clean! Why couldn't we just get a cheese grater! BUT ever since we have had a dishwasher, I love our mouli! It is a fantastic part of the pizza team!

Happy Valentine's Day Pizza!




Bake at 350° for 20 min or until dough is cook thoroughly. ENJOY! We did. In fact, we enjoyed the pizza so much I forgot to take after pictures! woops!


No comments:

Post a Comment