Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 34: Happy Chinese New Year!



America: Happy Chinese New Year!
China: Gong hey fat choy!
Taiwan: Gong see gong see scene liang how, ung bon boom tzeet lay lei!

(Looked it up on youtube, and what I learned from my childhood [Above sentences] is not quite how to say Happy Chinese New Year.

Here is how it goes for real: Guo nian hao [Guo-Step through, Nian- Year] {So it means pass through the current year to the new year} [Hao-good]

The Second half goes like this xin nian hao [Xin-New, Nian- Year, Hao - Good] {Good wishes for the new year}

The last part of the Taiwan phrase means now give me a red envelope, I think. But that is just what I have been told when I was a little kid.



Got a surprise in the mail today! Hurray for red envelopes! Thanks Mom and Dad!


Ohh ohh! I know what red envelopes mean!


This is Boyd's "I'M ASIAN!" face


Today it occurred to me that when I was a little kid I would run up to my Ghing Ghing (my Chinese grandma) and blabber off the wrong version of Happy Chinese New Year and she would just laugh at me and I would laugh back. Today I realized she was probably laughing at me because she had no clue what I was saying and I had no clue what I was saying to her.


Anyway, over Christmas break Ghing Ghing gave Boyd and me money to go out and buy a mahjong set. She told us "every time you play mahjong you think of Ghing Ghing!" (in her cute little Asian accented voice). So we did! And here it is! Thank you Ghing Ghing!


Haaaaappppeeeee Chineeeeese Neeeww Yeeeeeaarr!
Thanks for posing Boyd while I got the lighting and camera set up.




I love the flower tiles, they are my favorite. So why not take a picture of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment