Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day 237: Asthma

I used to hate running. I always felt like my lungs were getting crushed and I would get dizzy. My allergist told me I had sports induced asthma (about 10 years ago). I didn't really put any thought into that idea and never used my inhaler.  This last week I decided to use it and see what happens. Well, that was quite the experience. I have never been able to run more than 1/4 mile without stopping. Like I said, I would get dizzy and my body would shut down. On Monday I ran a FULL mile without stopping for the first time in my life. It sounds like a wimpy accomplishment, but I am so proud! I also have never been able to run a mile in under 15 minutes. I can still remember my Junior High gym teacher getting mad at me for being so slow. He would always say (in his gruff voice) "run faster Hong!" This week I ran a mile in under 13. Again, it sounds slow, but I'm totally making progress. I now know why people actually like to run. Who da thunk breathing was important. 


No comments:

Post a Comment