Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day 268: Homemade Tomato Sauce

I hate tomatoes. When I was 8 years old my family was going to a Bees game for the 4th of July. Before the game we were eating salad. My mom loves cherry tomatoes. She made me eat one because I said I didn't like them. I decided that if I swallowed a cherry tomato whole I wouldn't be able to taste it. I ended up choking on it and my dad had to do the Heimlich. I can still remember him dragging me over to the sink and seeing that stupid tomato come flying out of my mouth. Choking hurts! Boyd hates tomatoes (I knew I liked Boyd even more when I found out he doesn't like tomatoes either). So why on earth would we ever have tomatoes in our house? Because I love tomato sauces. Boyd's parents have an awesome garden full of fresh everything. I decided to be ambitious one day and wanted to make homemade tomato sauce. It wasn't as hard as I thought. 

First wash your tomatoes

Then place them in boiling water for 1 minute

Then give it a nice ice bath. You can see the skin peeling off already.

 Then squeeze the end of it and the inside will pop out.
Notice Boyd is wearing gloves? He didn't want his hands to smell like tomatoes. I don't blame him. Sometimes just the smell of them makes me gag.

Squeeze the juice and seeds out.

Blend. 

 I made mine into a sauce for ziti. It was surprisingly delicious



No comments:

Post a Comment