Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day 124: Nursing Covers

Congratulations to me, I finished my first project with my new sewing machine! My mom was impressed because apparently I was the girl who never finished projects growing up. Now just look at me!

So a while back my boss was trying to nurse her baby while fiddling with a blanket and it just looked awkward. I told her that they made nursing covers and she should check them out. She told me that they were just way too expensive and she'll just deal. So I offered to make her one and voila! Super easy! She even asked me to make two more, one for her sister in-law and one more for a friend. Yes, I did copy the hooter hider idea but what is even more ironic is the fabric that I had picked out. I went to Joanns, picked out something cute and went home and looked up the website. On the hooter hider website they were talking about their "designer fabric" blah blah blah. . To my surprise I had unknowingly picked out the same fabric they used! I even like the fabric so much while I was in the store I decided to buy a little extra and make a skirt. (funny story: about three weeks ago in church one of the little girls I teach was actually wearing a skirt with the same fabric) I guess it must be a popular print!

Here's the pattern

Materials:
  • 1 yard of fabric
  • D rings.
  • 12 " of Corset Boning
Measurements:
  • Cut the main piece of fabric into a 26"x38" (Finished product = 24x36)
  • The first neck strap is a 30"x 3" strip
  • The second neck strap is a 10" x 3" strip (attach the D ring to the shorter strap)
I made Boyd take a break from studying and threw this on him. He is always a good sport when it comes to picture taking.

4 comments:

  1. Very impressive! And, poor Boyd...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boyd is a good sport. :) I think a nursing cover was one of the first things I sewed on my machine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! so so impressed! I love your creative side! you are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are so nice! And yes, poor Boyd but that is what makes him an awesome husband!

    ReplyDelete