Monday, September 16, 2013

Blueberry Picking Remember?

Boyd and I took a weekend trip up to Michigan before returning to Ohio. 
Carrie and the girls took us blueberry picking. 
Truthfully, I have never been a huge fan of blueberries. Most of the time they are flavorless and the skin is so tough it gets stuck in the back of your throat. Enter Fresh, Handpicked, Amazing Blueberries. Hello. My view of blueberries has changed. These berries would burst in your mouth, were so sweet, flavorful, and yummy. Blueberry picking is also buckets of fun. The bushes are up high so you are not reaching down and they are easy to pluck off the branches.
 
 So I started experimenting with my kick butt point and shoot. I'm pretty impressed.
 

Introducing the Allison Berry. 
Sometimes I think I have OCD. I was only picking the Biggest, juiciest, darkest, plumpiest, bluebrries I could find. Consequently, I only found one or two worthy berries per bush. While other members of our berry picking crew had almost full buckets mine poor bucket was only 1/4 full. My favorite part was hearing the girls call "I have an Allison berry" then they would come running through the bushes just to give me a single berry that they deemed worthy of being in the Allison bucket.

Emelie and Alice were glued to Boyd's side.


 

Uh oh! Lost bucket. 
  
REMEMBER?!?! 
Funny Flo  kept saying "member?" (remember) the whole time we were there. 
"those bathrooms (outhouses) Member!?!?" 
"Blah jah bah ma ba, Remember?"
Remember?

Dear sweet Emelie, 
At the beginning of our adventure Carrie told the girls we should pick about 1 full bucket. 
Emelie and Boyd were so determined to do so.
 When it was time to go I could see the inner turmoil going through Emelie's head. Carrie had said it was time to go, but she still didn't have quite a bucket full
 (She only had about 1 inch of bucket space from the tippy top of her bucket) 
She didn't know if she should listen to her mom's
 first request: pick 1 full bucket 
or 
her second request: time to go 
She did both.  It was hilarious. 
Emelie was frantically picking blueberries as we walked toward the car, filling her bucket. 
In the end we had 13 pounds of blueberries! 


 Thanks for the fun times 

So what do you do with blueberries? 
Make homemade blueberry muffins with streusel topping

No comments:

Post a Comment