Saturday, November 26, 2011

Day 329: Happy Thanksgiving

This year Boyd and I decided to do Thanksgiving dinner on our own. We had many appreciated offers from friends to join them, but when it came down to it, we wanted to spend time together (plus Boyd has exams coming up and would rather socialize than study any day.) Lately we I have been so busy with work and church stuff I felt like we haven't had "us" time. It was really nice that we got to spend a whole day together.

The problem we often run into when Boyd and I cook is that we cook for a family. Not a family of two, might I add. We both come from larger families and for some reason we think that we are trying to feed at least a family of 6.

Here is what we had for Thanksgiving. 

Candied Yams. 
I love the new smushed marshmallows. 
They make for a very even top.

Rolls. 
I fell asleep and forgot that they were rising. Woops

Mashed Potatoes

 Cranberry Salad.
My first time making it. 
It was yummy and Boyd said it looks and tastes right.

Stuffing.

Boyd wanted something new. 
(New tradition, something new and different at every Thanksgiving)
So, we did spaghetti squash.

Green Beans

THE TURKEY!
Boyd did an amazing job with this turkey. 
It was juicy, tender, and very turkeyee.
Being turkeyee is important. I love a flavorful turkey. 
The secret: Boyd gave this turkey a massage the night before. 
Lots of freshly ground sea salt and tellicherry pepper.
 I think we ate about 1/20th of this turkey.


Cranberry sauce. 
I asked Boyd "What do people do if one person 
likes jellied and the other whole?" 
He said that they would have to buy two kinds. 
I said "that sounds complicated"
Luckily we both like the jellied kind. 
Especially with the lines from the can & all.
 
Like I said, we could feed at least a family of 6

There's my hubby carving away. 
What you don't see is him sneaking pieces as he carves.

After dinner we joined our good friends the Nelsons, the Wagners, and Boyd's cousin Dominick (who is on a mission, here in Ohio) for some pie. It was a lot of fun. 

And yes, Boyd and I did go shopping at 10:30 p.m. Thanksgiving night. We went with Adam to Walmart.  I was looking for something specific (which I can't say because it is a present for somebody who reads this blog) and I saw people walking around Walmart with it. Apparently we were too slow. It made me so upset that people had 2 or 3 of these things in their carts. I almost wanted to grab it our of their carts and run to the check stand. Anyway, Adam was directed to a different line than us and we ended up checking out faster than he did. While he was standing in line, his line, somebody put back the thing I wanted and he was able to grab it for us! Boyd and I feel like everything ALWAYS works out for us. Just like this Black . . . Friday? Thursday. . . example. 
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

1 comment:

  1. We're so glad you guys came over in the evening! It was fun hanging out with you guys!

    ReplyDelete