Monday, April 26, 2010

Does our life revolve around food?

I was taking a nap after a very long day and woke up to something smelly. Don't worry, it was a good smelly, not like a Boyd smelly. Even though he was making the smell. Anyway, as I walked into the kitchen I saw a recipe up on our computer for Pierogi. . . Pierogi is something you always hear of on a cooking show, in a restaurant, something not at home, so I asked Boyd if this is a family recipe. "no" something you made on your mission? "no" something you have ever made before "no" . . . . . "But I have eaten pierogi before, and it is to honor my red headed Italian friend" (Boyd). I'm only a little hesitant when we eat something new. I like doing it, but something that I have never really heard of before. . . slightly questionable. But it smelled really really good, so why should I be worried. Then I hear Boyd chuckling. . . and then he says "super pierogi!" Notice the real size of the pierogi on the left and Boyd's super pierogi on the right.
Thas a one big a pierogi!

Personally I think they look like pot stickers.

Just in case you were wondering, they turned out great! They were super yummy!

5 comments:

  1. Recipe please, because I looove pierogis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristen!
    Here is the recipe Boyd used:

    Ingredients:
    2 Cups flour
    1 egg
    1/2 cup warm water
    t tsp. salt
    2 Tbs. Oil

    1: mix all ingredients together lightly in bowl.

    2: Knead until smooth

    3: let rest, covered 30 minutes (we kinda just skipped this part, I think that is why our dough was a little squishy, so do this)

    4: Using half of the dough at a time, roll out 1/8 inch thickness

    5: Cut circles with biscuit cutter or floured glass

    6: fill with golf-ball sized hunk of filling, pinch to seal

    7: boil 5-8 minutes, until floating

    8: fry in butter until crisp


    The filling we used:
    Boil potatoes until soft
    glaze onions in butter until clear

    mix potatoes and onions and add cheese.


    That's it! Now go tell Taylor to make you some yummy pierogis! hehe Hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love pierogis! They're really popular in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Taylor again. Thanks Allison for telling Kristen to tell me to make it. I make everything around. You probably thought I don't even read blogs because it's a girly thing to do. Well guess what, I guess I'm more girly than you think....because I cook and read blogs and like shoes...
    PS-I think your whole blog is just about food since the last like 5 posts are all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cook, read blogs, like shoes. . . no wonder you and Boyd are friends.

    ReplyDelete