Friday, February 15, 2013

Washington D.C. : Best $14 I have ever spent

Hands down the best $14 I have ever spent involves renting a bike. 
Seriously? You bet! 
Washington D.C is big. As in painfully, limping, whiny pants, I didn't want to walk anymore, big. Everybody warned us that we would be doing a lot of walking. Boy, I should have believed them. I have never walked so much in my entire life! I even wore really good shoes. At the end of the day we were both so tired and sore we could hardly crawl into bed.  Thank goodness for this "capital bikeshare" thing. You pay a $7 rental fee for 24 hours. It's "free" for 30 minutes and then $2 for 30-60 minutes. You just check in your bike to these nifty stations and go on your way. We rode these bikes ALL OVER. (literally. Do you see that map behind me? we pretty much covered the whole thing)
At first we tried to get away with just one bike. I think they purposely put the pedals under the seat so two people can't ride a the same time. Lame. At that point I didn't really care so we ended up getting two. Still totally worth the $14. 

 I look like a dork but I love these bikes so much.


You know the phrase "it's like riding a bike"
Well, I haven't ridden a bike since I was 12. 
It was hard. Pushing off. Peddling without wobbling. Trying not to be scared of the cars zooming by you. Peddling fast enough to keep up with Boyd without your bike rattling. Stopping. Eventually I got the hang of riding but it was quite the sight when I first got on. Boyd was pretty fearless when he started copying the "regular commuters." He would pick a person (wearing appropriate biking attire, with an appropriate bike - not a bikeshare) and follow them. He soon realized I just couldn't keep up when I got left behind at a stoplight. woops.

I realized that these bikes saved my life when we rode past a group of people walking. I overheard a girl saying "OH, I wish I had a bike, my feet are killing me" 
HA HA. (seriously, I laughed out loud and yelled "it's totally worth it" back at her) 

No comments:

Post a Comment